Re: Amerindian navigators and Eurocentrism in scholarship

From hgibbons@spamproof.stic.net (Hugh Gibbons)
Date Fri, 12 Sep 1997 23:00:24 -0700
Newsgroups sci.archaeology.mesoamerican, sci.archaeology, sci.anthropology, alt.folklore.science
Organization Karmedian Inc.
References <5uvasm$n7p$1@titan.globalserve.net > <5v2kfb$gde$1@titan.globalserve.net > <3417956A.365E@xnet.com > <5v90tb$b83$1@titan.globalserve.net >

In article <5v90tb$b83$1@titan.globalserve.net
Kuchinsky 17784) wrote:

> Actually the out and out _racism_ of the Spanish colonialists played even
> a bigger role in this area. It was the Spanish who destroyed this proud
> chapter of Native history, i.e. the extensive coastal trading networks.

Don't confuse imperialism/colonialism with racism.  Spanish colonists
destroyed the coastal trading networks for two reasons.  Firstly, so
they could subject the coastal peoples to the rule of the Spanish
king and secondly because trading networks not dominated by Spain
would compete with and take business from the "legitimate" Spanish
traders who controlled the area and paid taxes to the king.  Don't
imagine that the Spaniards would have hesitated to supplant a local
trading network if the people running it happened to be white.

--
*                     NO                         *
*          I will not send you money.            *